How to Choose a Humidor: The Ultimate 2023 Guide
Do you know how to choose a humidor? The reality is, it can be a daunting task, especially if you’re new to the world of cigars.
When choosing a humidor, you want to consider the size and materials, as well as features like airtight seals and temperature control. You also want to think about your budget and how much you’re willing to spend.
However, it is not as simple as just picking whatever looks nice. There are a few key factors that you should consider before making your purchase. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of choosing a humidor and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision.
What Is a Humidor?
A humidor is a sealed container designed to maintain an optimal humidity level for the storage of cigars and other tobacco products. The ideal humidity level for storing cigars lies between 65%-72%, while the temperature should remain at 70°F-73°F. Too much or too little humidity can cause damage to your cigars, as it will affect the flavor, texture, and overall enjoyment of your smoke.
Types of HumidorsDesktop humidors are typically the most affordable type on the market and are great for those who don’t have large collections or do not plan on collecting more in the future. These are generally made of wood and typically come with a few removable trays or shelves for storage.
Cabinet humidors are much larger than desktop models, capable of storing hundreds to thousands of cigars. They are usually made of wood, although glass-door models can also be found that allow you to view your collection without needing to open the door.
Walk-in humidors provide the ultimate in cigar storage capabilities, often featuring multiple rooms and ample space for an extensive collection. While these are much more expensive than other types of humidors, they offer unparalleled luxury for those looking to store large quantities of cigars.
The 10 Most Important Things To Consider When Choosing a Humidor:
1) Size – You’ll need to decide the number of cigars you’ll be storing and how much space you have for the humidor.
2) Humidity Control – Look for a humidor with an adjustable humidification system and/or a hygrometer to measure the humidity.
3) Materials – Many humidors are made of wood, but other materials like glass, metal, acrylic and even leather can be found.
4) Features – Consider factors like airtight seals, dividers, trays and drawers for organization, built-in locks for security, etc.
5) Maintenance – Make sure you know how often the humidor needs to be calibrated or refilled with water or propylene glycol solution.
6) Warranty – It’s important to make sure that your purchase is protected in case of any problems or defects.
7) Price – Consider your budget when shopping for a humidor. You can find quality models at different price points.
8) Accessories – Look for humidors that offer additional features like cigar cutters and ashtrays, as well as options to customize the look of the box.
9) Reliability – Do some research on the brand before you buy to make sure they have a good reputation.
10) Style & Design – Choose a humidor that not only meets your needs but also matches your style and décor.
Why is choosing the right humidor important?
Choosing the right humidor is essential for preserving the quality and flavor of your cigars. An improper humidity or temperature level can cause rapid aging, cracking, molding, and discoloration of your cigars.
It’s also important to consider features like airtight seals, dividers, and locks that will keep your collection safe from damage or theft. The right humidor will help you store your cigars in the best possible environment so you can enjoy them for years to come.
Caring for your first humidor
Once you’ve chosen the perfect humidor, it’s important to properly season and care for it. One way to do this is by making sure that the box has reached the desired humidity level before beginning to store cigars in it. You can do this by using a hygrometer or other calibration device to measure the humidity and adjusting if necessary.
Be sure to clean your humidor regularly and refill your humidification system with distilled water or propylene glycol solution as needed. Knowing how to properly care for your humidor will help ensure that it lasts for years and continues to keep your cigar collection in top-notch condition.
For a more interactive tutorial, here is a video from the YouTube channel Cigars Daily on where they give 5 Essential Tips for your First Humidor.
Note that the video is age-restricted so you would have to log in and be 18+ to view it.
With this guide and our tips on choosing a humidor, you’re now well-equipped with the knowledge to make an informed decision about which model is best for you. Whether it’s a desktop unit for home use or an expansive walk-in for an extensive collection, it’s important to select a humidor that meets your needs and preserves the quality of your cigars. Happy smoking!